by sharontaylor | March 31, 2020 · 8:30 pm
In light of the coronavirus and keeping with the general rule that if there is no school, then there are no Scout events or meetings. The next meeting is currently scheduled for May 13th.
Online Merit Badge Opportunity:
Please read through the dates and online requirements. New Merit Badges are added each week on Wednesdays.
Here is an example of what is available 3/30-4/3.
Citizenship in the Nation Merit Badge: Monday – Thursday, 2 pm – 4 pm
Small Boat Sailing Merit Badge: Monday – Thursday, 3 pm – 5 pm
Environmental Science Merit Badge: Monday – Friday, 4 pm – 5 pm
Sustainability Merit Badge: Monday – Thursday, 4 pm – 6 pm
Game Design Merit Badge: Monday – Thursday, 6:30 pm – 8 pm
Citizenship in the World Merit Badge: Monday – Thursday, 7 pm – 9 pm
(2-hr courses have a $10 fee to cover extended online access but will include a $5-coupon for future program/services to aid in completing your Badge; 1- & 1.5-hr courses are $5.)
Please reach out to your Scout Master, Jon Apicella or Committee Chair, Jenn Parrella with any questions.
Special thanks to the Aday Family for sharing this great opportunity with us all!!
Also to come:
Ideas are being created for ways in which our scouts can stay active and in touch with our Troop.
We are looking to create, for example a Troop Scavenger hunt or Artwork Challenge (created with items found in nature).
We are also looking into ways where we would be able to create a virtual troop meeting for the scouts to share their creations and findings.
If anyone has an idea which they would like to share, please reach out to Jon Apicella and Jenn Parrella.
Lastly, please stay in touch should you need anything from picking up supplies/groceries to just having someone to chat with.
Stay in touch! Social distancing is very important right now.
BUT that does not mean that we aren’t able to be there for our friends in so many other ways. Check in on friends, family and neighbors. We are all in this together!
5/13 – Troop Meeting @ the Franklin United Methodist Church – Tentative
Save the Dates now for the Troop’s Spring Outings. Details are still being discussed and finalized, but please mark your calendars and sign up now!
5/15 – 5/17 – May Troop Outing –Camping/ Biking – Shawnee Crowell Bourne MA
- Departure will be from the Franklin VFW Hall Friday May 15th. Meeting at 5pm for 5:30pm Departure.
- Saturday we will take bikes on the ferry to Martha’s Vineyard.
- Cost: $20
6/12 – 6/14 – June Troop Outing – Canoeing/Kayaking
- Departure will be from the Franklin VFW Hall Friday June 15th. Meeting at 4pm for 4:30pm Departure. Friday late afternoon we will Kayak in tandem Kayaks about 2.5 miles out to Washburn Island. Sunday return to the VFW approximately 11am.
- Saturday we will circumnavigate the island in our kayaks on a guided tour by a local marine biologist. We can expect to learn about the local coastal ecosystem as well as the history of Washburn Island. We will also hike and explore the 330-acre island which contains marshes, sand dunes, and small ponds, and woods. We may also be able to tour the Waquoit Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve.
- All scouts are required to have passed the BSA Swim test within the last 12 months to participate in this activity. Having earned the swimming merit badge is not sufficient, a current passing BSA Swim test result is required. If you did not attend Scout Camp 2019 swim test is being coordinated. Date/Time TBA.
- Cost: $35
- Sign up deadline is May 22nd
- All forms and payment due by June 10th
- Pay via PayPal: PayPal.Me/troop29franklin Please note the event/trip is that you are paying for in the memo field.
- If you want to send directly through your PayPal account/app you can send to email@example.com. Please select the “send money to family/friend” option.
Access all Troop 29 Current Sign Ups list and Information: All Troop Sign Ups