1/30 – Troop Meeting @ the Charter School 7 – 8:30pm
- All Forms for Klondike and Ski Trip are due! Did you know you can now pay via PayPal? See below for details!
2/1 – 2/2 – January Troop Outing – Klondike Derby 2019 – Arctic Challenge – Camp Squanto, Plymouth, MA
- Departure will be from the Franklin VFW Hall Friday February 1st. Meeting at 5pm for 5:30pm Departure. On Saturday evening after the day’s activities we will return to the VFW Hall, time to be determined.
- Patrols will tune up their sleds for the Derby Adventure! Cold weather skills, races and competitions.
- In addition to the normal troop camping pack list for cold weather (Troop 29 camping checklist), scouts should be prepared for outdoor physical activity in cold weather, i.e. dress in layers with a synthetic base layer. Bring extra dry warm clothing. Hand and feet warmers would also be a good idea.
- Cost: $20
- All forms and payment due: Jan 30
- Sign up here
2/3 – Celebrating Scout Sunday at St. Mary’s Church in Franklin
Who: All Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts and Adult Leaders
Where: Meet in the lower church of St. Mary’s
When: This Sunday, Feb 3rd at 8:30 a.m. (for the 9:00 mass)
What to wear: Class A uniform, no hat.
We will have adult supervision so even if no leaders are attending from a troop/pack, scouts are encourage to participate.
2/6 – PLC & Committee Meeting @ the Charter School
- PLC (6:30 – 7:30)
- Committee Meeting (7:30 – 8:30) All adults are encouraged to attend the committee meeting.
2/8 – 2/10 – February Troop Outing – Alpine Skiing and Riding at Loon Mountain, NH
- The troop leaves the VFW at 5:30 Friday night. Return to Franklin on Sunday, time to be determined.
- Car pools will be arranged in advance. Thanks to the kindness of Mrs Dos Santos and Mrs Halloran the Troop will be sleeping inside their homes and preparing and eating most of the meals there too! Pack for indoor sleeping on the floor.
- Parents can buy tickets online for pick up at Loon. This is the least expensive way.
- IF a scout needs rental equipment, the cost is $36/48 for the day. Ski equipment rentals can be reserved at least 48 hours in advance so they are ready 30 mins before the slopes open.
- IF a scout needs beginner lessons, those are available on the mountain.
- Sign up deadline: Jan 16
- All forms: Feb 1
- Sign up here
2/13 – Troop Meeting @ the Charter School 7 – 8:30pm
2/20 – No Troop Meeting – Vacation Week
2/27 – Troop Meeting @ the Charter School 7 – 8:30pm
Troop 29 Now has PayPal!
You can now pay for Troop events and fees via PayPal. Please use the following link: PayPal.Me/troop29franklin
If there is a memo field, please note the event/trip is that you are paying for. Otherwise it will quickly become confusing who is paying for what.
If you have your PayPal account connected to your checking account you will not pay a fee.
If your PayPal account is connected to a credit card, then you will pay a fee (pretty much you cover the cost of the credit card transaction).
If you want to send directly through your PayPal account/app you can send to email@example.com. Please select the “send money to family/friend” option so that the Troop does not incur a transaction fee (they will fee us if it looks like you are paying for goods/services).
Checks at the Troop Meeting are still welcome as well. Reach out to Tim O’Toole with any questions.
Any parent interested in any of these positions please see or email Jenn Parrella to discuss further. We are going through the rechartering process now and will be best able to adjust our committee to reflect changes now.
Assistant Scout Masters Wanted! We are looking to round out our team for greater coverage on activities to support our scouts. Wonderful opportunity for either parent to become more involved with the active scouting events. Being a boy led troop this will involve supporting the youth leadership to listen effectively to the scouts and plan activities which match the scouts goals and interests.
Merit Badge Counselors Wanted! There are over 150 merit badges available for the scouts to pursue. Perhaps 1 or 2 are hobbies of yours and you would be interested in sharing this with the scouts. There is no cost to do this only an interest to share something which you are skilled and passionate about.
Campout / Activity Coordinator Wanted! Any adult interested in helping the Troop as the Campout Coordinator, should see Jenn Parrella to learn more about this exciting opportunity. Overview of responsibilities
Troop Secretary Wanted! Help the Troop Committee by taking care of the minutes at the Committee meetings and disturbing them.
Merit Badge University
This year’s Merit Badge University will be held on:
Saturday 3/2/19 – 7:45 am – 3:30 pm.
Saturday 3/9/19 – 7:45 am – 1:15 pm.
In case of snow, the makeup day will be Saturday, 3/23/19.
Please email Anna (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions. The council website has more general information about MBU at: www.mayflowerbsa.org/mbu.
Do you know how Rank Advancement and Merit Badge Process Work?
Now that we are fully transitioned to Scoutbook, its a good time to ensure that everyone is clear on the process for rank advancement and merit badges. Scouts will continue to use their Scout handbooks to obtain approval for their rank requirements and simultaneously we will track advancement in Scoutbook. Please review the Rank and MB Process Document to understand each step in the process. If you have any questions, please ask Mike McGuire (email@example.com) or Amy Pepin.
- Scouts should plan in advance for a Scout Master conference. If you are ready for a SMC, please speak or email Mr. McGuire (be sure to include a parent or other committee member on the email). He will schedule your SMC for the next available meeting.
- Board of Reviews will be held monthly. The last Troop meeting of the month will be reserved for Board of Reviews. All BOR’s will take place from 8-8:30 pm. Amy Pepin, Advancement Chair, will organize the BOR.
Access all Troop 29 Current Sign Ups list and Information: All Troop Sign Ups