1/9 – Troop Meeting @ the Charter School 7 – 8:30pm
Klondike, Ski Trip, MBU… There is a lot to do! Read through all of the detailed information carefully!
- Don’t forget to wear your Class A to all Troop meetings. Double check that you have your current rank badge and the correct Troop and Council patches! If you have any questions, check the uniform guide.
- Please be sure to arrive on time. The meeting will start at 7pm. If you are late, you will be asked to remain in the hallway until the opening has been conducted.
- Did you sign up for Klondike? Only a few scouts have signed up?? Sign up here
- Did you sign up for the Ski Trip? Sign up here
- Take Advantage of the Loon Mountain on line ticket flash sale to buy your lift tickets!
- If you are planning to attend, please reach out to Tim O’Toole with the following information:
- How many people from your family will attend (adults and kids)
- How many days will you ski
- Ski/Boarder ability level (Green, blue, Black, Black Diamond)
- Who will be taking lessons
- Who will be renting skis / board
- Do you want to work on the Snow Sports Merit Badge?
- Merit Badge University – Did you email Anna dos Santos? What you to do BEFORE our Troop meeting on 1/9/19:
- Please email Anna (email@example.com) & let her know whether or not your scout(s) will be attending MBU this year. Also, be sure they know whether or not they will be going. Note: If your scout has a schedule conflict with the 3/2 date, I would not sign up for MBU this year. If they can attend on 3/2 but not 3/9, attending will still be worthwhile. 2. If they are attending, look at the list of last years merit badge offeringsand have your scout(s) pick out at least 6 badges that interest him & list them in priority order. Please keep in mind that this year’s offerings may be different and changes may need to be made at the troop meeting. We will work with each scout to do the actual selection of badges. If we receive this year’s official list of merit badges before the troop meeting, it will be sent it out.
- Do you need a Scout Master Conference? The next Troop Court of Honor will be Jan 23. Please review the advancement information below and reach out to Mr. McGuire if you are ready for a SMC.
1/16 – Troop Meeting @ the Charter School 7 – 8:30pm
- Sign up Deadline for the Feb Troop Outing
1/23 – Troop Meeting and COH @ the Charter School 7 – 8:30pm
1/30 – Troop Meeting @ the Charter School 7 – 8:30pm
2/1 – 2/3 – January Troop Outing – Klondike Derby 2019 – Arctic Challenge – Camp Squanto, Plymouth, MA
- Departure will be from the Franklin VFW Hall Friday February 1st. Meeting at 5pm for 5:30pm Departure. On Saturday evening after the day’s activities we will return to the VFW Hall, time to be determined.
- Patrols will tune up their sleds for the Derby Adventure! Cold weather skills, races and competitions.
- In addition to the normal troop camping pack list for cold weather (Troop 29 camping checklist), scouts should be prepared for outdoor physical activity in cold weather, i.e. dress in layers with a synthetic base layer. Bring extra dry warm clothing. Hand and feet warmers would also be a good idea.
- Cost: $20
- All forms and payment due: Jan 30
- Sign up here
2/8 – 2/10 – February Troop Outing – Alpine Skiing and Riding at Loon Mountain, NH
- The troop leaves the VFW at 5:30 Friday night. Return to Franklin on Sunday, time to be determined.
- Car pools will be arranged in advance. Thanks to the kindness of Mrs Dos Santos and Mrs Halloran the Troop will be sleeping inside their homes and preparing and eating most of the meals there too! Pack for indoor sleeping on the floor.
- Parents can buy tickets online for pick up at Loon. This is the least expensive way.
- IF a scout needs rental equipment, the cost is $36/48 for the day. Ski equipment rentals can be reserved at least 48 hours in advance so they are ready 30 mins before the slopes open.
- IF a scout needs beginner lessons, those are available on the mountain.
- Sign up deadline: Jan 16
- All forms: Feb 1
- Sign up here
Any parent interested in any of these positions please see or email Jenn Parrella to discuss further. We are going through the rechartering process now and will be best able to adjust our committee to reflect changes now.
Assistant Scout Masters Wanted! We are looking to round out our team for greater coverage on activities to support our scouts. Wonderful opportunity for either parent to become more involved with the active scouting events. Being a boy led troop this will involve supporting the youth leadership to listen effectively to the scouts and plan activities which match the scouts goals and interests.
Merit Badge Counselors Wanted! There are over 150 merit badges available for the scouts to pursue. Perhaps 1 or 2 are hobbies of yours and you would be interested in sharing this with the scouts. There is no cost to do this only an interest to share something which you are skilled and passionate about.
Campout / Activity Coordinator Wanted! Any adult interested in helping the Troop as the Campout Coordinator, should see Jenn Parrella to learn more about this exciting opportunity. Overview of responsibilities
Troop Secretary Wanted! Help the Troop Committee by taking care of the minutes at the Committee meetings and disturbing them.
Merit Badge University
This year’s Merit Badge University will be held on Saturday, 3/2/19, and on Saturday, 3/9/19. In case of snow, the makeup day will be 3/23/19. Although we have not been given firm start and end times, expect each day to start around 8:00am and end by 4:00pm.
The Troop’s registration will be handled by Anna DosSantos and is currently scheduled to start on Monday, 1/14/19. That means we need to gather information this week to be ready.
What you to do BEFORE our Troop meeting on 1/9/19:
1. Please email Anna (firstname.lastname@example.org) & let her know whether or not your scout(s) will be attending MBU this year. Also, be sure they know whether or not they will be going. Note: If your scout has a schedule conflict with the 3/2 date, I would not sign up for MBU this year. If they can attend on 3/2 but not 3/9, attending will still be worthwhile.
2. If they are attending, look at the list of last years merit badge offeringsand have your scout(s) pick out at least 6 badges that interest him & list them in priority order. Please keep in mind that this year’s offerings may be different and changes may need to be made at the troop meeting. We will work with each scout to do the actual selection of badges. If we receive this year’s official list of merit badges before the troop meeting, it will be sent it out.
Scoutbook Logon Changes – Scoutbook now connects with my.scouting.org as a single sign on (SSO). You will need to log onto Scoutbook with your my.scouting log on credentials. There is a helpful FAQ document on the Scoutbook page home page if you need further assistance.
Do you know how Rank Advancement and Merit Badge Process Work?
Now that we are fully transitioned to Scoutbook, its a good time to ensure that everyone is clear on the process for rank advancement and merit badges. Scouts will continue to use their Scout handbooks to obtain approval for their rank requirements and simultaneously we will track advancement in Scoutbook. Please review the Rank and MB Process Document to understand each step in the process. If you have any questions, please ask Mike McGuire (email@example.com) or Amy Pepin.
- Scouts should plan in advance for a Scout Master conference. If you are ready for a SMC, please speak or email Mr. McGuire (be sure to include a parent or other committee member on the email). He will schedule your SMC for the next available meeting.
- Board of Reviews will be held monthly. The last Troop meeting of the month will be reserved for Board of Reviews. All BOR’s will take place from 8-8:30 pm. Amy Pepin, Advancement Chair, will organize the BOR.
Philmont Scout Ranch – Anyone who is interested in learning more about going to Philmont Scout Rand Aug 12-18 2019, please reach out to Jenn Parrella for more information. Troop 99 is going and has invited us to join them. Scouts must be 14 by Aug 12 2019 (Philmont rule) http://philmontscoutranch.org/
Access all Troop 29 Current Sign Ups list and Information: All Troop Sign Ups