12/12 – Troop Meeting @ the Charter School 7 – 8:30pm
- An Orienteering activity with Mr. Lynch and planning for the December Campout. Scouts should speak to their patrol leader about planning a meal for this camp out, specifically those who have cooking requirements to complete for the Cooking Merit Badge.
- Due are Due! Please pay $125 for 2019. Please see Jenn Parrella if you haven’t paid.
- Don’t forget to wear your Class A to all Troop meetings. Double check that you have your current rank badge and the correct Troop and Council patches! If you have any questions, check the uniform guide.
- Please be sure to arrive on time. The meeting will start at 7pm. If you are late, you will be asked to remain in the hallway until the opening has been conducted.
- Do you need a Scout Master Conference? The next Troop Court of Honor will be Jan 23. Please review the advancement information below and reach out to Mr. McGuire if you are ready for a SMC.
12/15 – 12/16 – December Troop Outing – Wreaths Across America at Bourne National Cemetery and YMCA camping overnight and Orienteering activity
- Wreaths Across America – incredible experience for the scouts! One that they insisted be included in plans for 2018!! Please make the time if at all possible to participate. Sign up here
- Pack your lunch to eat on the way down so that you are ready to go for the ceremony at 12 noon.
- Plan ahead for the weather and dress properly. You will be out doors standing/walking for a couple of hours.
- Bring hand/foot warmers if the temperatures look to be on the colder side.
- Meeting up at the flag at the visitors center for the ceremony to start at 12 noon. Look for the rest of the troop at the flag pole.
- THEN…Following the wreath laying at Bourne, boys should head to YMCA to set up camp before loss of daylight.
- In the morning, they would be breaking down camp and will meet up at 9am in the Franklin State Forest with Chief TJ Lynch for Orienteering. Plan on finishing around noon. Pick up at the Water Tower Parking lot just past the YMCA.
- Orienteering is a rank requirement for 1st Class. This is a great opportunity to learn about orienteering and complete these requirements, no matter what rank you are!
- Scouts should speak to their patrol leader about planning a meal for this camp out, specifically those who have cooking requirements to complete for the Cooking Merit Badge. Planning will be done at the 12/12 Troop meeting.
- In addition to the normal troop camping pack list (Troop 29 camping checklist), proper waterproof footwear is required. The state forest is very muddy and wet. Additionally, as it is hunting season (although there should be no hunting on Sundays) if you have orange vests you should wear them.
- $10 Fee Due 12/12.
- Sign up here.
12/19– Troop Meeting @ Pinz in Milford 7 – 8:30pm **** Note: Location Change!****
- To wrap up the year, the Troop will meet at Pinz for some bowling fun. The Troop will cover the cost of shoe rentals and bowling for the scouts. Parents should bring scouts to Pinz at 7pm and pick up at 8:30pm. No transportation will be provided.
- Address: 110 South Main Street Milford, MA
Help Wanted! Urgent and Immediate positions to be filled within the troop:
Any parent interested in any of these positions please see or email Jenn Parrella to discuss further. We are going through the rechartering process now and will be best able to adjust our committee to reflect changes now.
Assistant Scout Masters Wanted! We are looking to round out our team for greater coverage on activities to support our scouts. Wonderful opportunity for either parent to become more involved with the active scouting events. Being a boy led troop this will involve supporting the youth leadership to listen effectively to the scouts and plan activities which match the scouts goals and interests.
Merit Badge Counselors Wanted! There are over 150 merit badges available for the scouts to pursue. Perhaps 1 or 2 are hobbies of yours and you would be interested in sharing this with the scouts. There is no cost to do this only an interest to share something which you are skilled and passionate about.
Campout / Activity Coordinator Wanted! Any adult interested in helping the Troop as the Campout Coordinator, should see Jenn Parrella to learn more about this exciting opportunity. Overview of responsibilities
Troop Secretary Wanted! Help the Troop Committee by taking care of the minutes at the Committee meetings and disturbing them.
Looking Ahead to 2019…..
2/1 – 2/3 – Klondike Derby – Mayflower Council Event
- Troop will campout Friday night and return late afternoon Saturday. More details and sign up soon.
- Patrols will tune up their sleds for the Derby Adventure! Cold weather skills, races and competitions.
- Location Camp Squanto, Plymouth MA and if we register by January 1st scouts receive a hat and patch for the event.
2/8 – 2/10 February Troop Outing – Skiing Trip
- Loon Mountain: Both Anna dos Santos and Kim Halloran have graciously offered their homes for the troop to stay at for a skiing weekend. We are working to finalize the plans and details. If you are planning, please reach out to Tim O’Toole with the following information:
- How many people from your family will attend (adults and kids)
- How many days will you ski
- Ski/Boarder ability level (Green, blue, Black, Black Diamond)
- Who will be taking lessons
- Who will be renting skis / board
- Do you want to work on the Snow Sports Merit Badge.
Merit Badge University: Huge opportunity for Scouts to earn merit badges outside of Summer Camp.
- Currently the dates are set for 3/2/19, 3/9/2019, and 3/23/2019. As soon as details are solidified we will keep you posted. Please put these dates on your calendar asap.
- Any questions on this event please reach out to Anna dos Santos.
Do you know how Rank Advancement and Merit Badge Process Work?
Now that we are fully transitioned to Scoutbook, its a good time to ensure that everyone is clear on the process for rank advancement and merit badges. Scouts will continue to use their Scout handbooks to obtain approval for their rank requirements and simultaneously we will track advancement in Scoutbook. Please review the Rank and MB Process Document to understand each step in the process. If you have any questions, please ask Mike McGuire (email@example.com) or Amy Pepin.
- Scouts should plan in advance for a Scout Master conference. If you are ready for a SMC, please speak or email Mr. McGuire (be sure to include a parent or other committee member on the email). He will schedule your SMC for the next available meeting.
- Board of Reviews will be held monthly. The last Troop meeting of the month will be reserved for Board of Reviews. All BOR’s will take place from 8-8:30 pm. Amy Pepin, Advancement Chair, will organize the BOR.
Philmont Scout Ranch – Anyone who is interested in learning more about going to Philmont Scout Rand Aug 12-18 2019, please reach out to Jenn Parrella for more information. Troop 99 is going and has invited us to join them. Scouts must be 14 by Aug 12 2019 (Philmont rule) http://philmontscoutranch.org/
Access all Troop 29 Current Sign Ups list and Information: All Troop Sign Ups