11/28 – Troop Meeting @ the Charter School 7 – 8:30pm
- Scouts will be carving Hiking sticks. Please bring a suitable stick, knife and any other materials to add to the stick.
- Due are Due! Please pay $125 for 2019 dues no later than 11/28. Please see Mrs. Baird about popcorn sales exemptions.
- Lots of new information in this edition… keep reading!!
- Look at the events planned for Feb and March. Mark your calendars now and provide feedback accordingly!!
Help Wanted! Urgent and Immediate positions to be filled within the troop:
Any parent interested in any of these positions please see or email Jenn Parrella to discuss further. We are going through the rechartering process now and will be best able to adjust our committee to reflect changes now.
Treasurer: This position will need to be replaced as of the end of 2018. This is a great position for either parent who may be looking for an opportunity to be more involved with the troop but does not have an interest in campouts. The ideal person does not need to be an accountant but merely be solid with numbers( ex. Balancing a checkbook)
Assistant Scout Masters Wanted! We are looking to round out our team for greater coverage on activities to support our scouts. Wonderful opportunity for either parent to become more involved with the active scouting events. Being a boy led troop this will involve supporting the youth leadership to listen effectively to the scouts and plan activities which match the scouts goals and interests.
Merit Badge Counselors Wanted! There are over 150 merit badges available for the scouts to pursue. Perhaps 1 or 2 are hobbies of yours and you would be interested in sharing this with the scouts. There is no cost to do this only an interest to share something which you are skilled and passionate about.
Campout / Activity Coordinator Wanted! Any adult interested in helping the Troop as the Campout Coordinator, should see Jenn Parrella to learn more about this exciting opportunity. Overview of responsibilities
Troop Secretary Wanted! Help the Troop Committee by taking care of the minutes at the Committee meetings and disturbing them.
12/5 – PLC & Committee Meeting @ the Charter School
12/12 – Troop Meeting @ the Charter School 7 – 8:30pm
- An Orienteering activity with Mr. Lynch.
12/15 – 12/16 – December Troop Outing – Wreaths Across America at Bourne National Cemetery activity
- Wreaths Across America – incredible experience for the scouts! One that they insisted be included in plans for 2018!! Please make the time if at all possible to participate. Sign up here
- Pack your lunch to eat on the way down so that you are ready to go for the ceremony at 12 noon.
- Plan ahead for the weather and dress properly. You will be out doors standing/walking for a couple of hours.
- Bring hand/foot warmers if the temperatures look to be on the colder side.
- Meeting up at the flag at the visitors center for the ceremony to start at 12 noon. Look for the rest of the troop at the flag pole.
- Camping out being finalized – either at Beaver Pond or at the YMCA. Will update as soon as we are able to get additional details.
- Orienteering with TJ Lynch for the Orienteering Merit Badge 2-3 hours on Sunday December 16th. We will be going over the details of the activities for Sunday at the 12/12 troop meeting. Sign up here.
12/19– Troop Meeting @ the Charter School 7 – 8:30pm
Looking Ahead to 2019…..
2/1 – 2/3 – Klondike Derby – Mayflower Council Event
- Yes this is later in the season than years before but sure to be a great experience. Troop still determining 1 or 2 nights (Friday and/or Saturday) for campout.
- Patrols will tune up their sleds for the Derby Adventure! Cold weather skills, races and competitions.
- Location Camp Squanto, Plymouth MA and if we register by January 1st scouts receive a hat and patch for the event.
2/8 – 2/10 February Troop Outing – Skiing Trip – Immediate feedback from families needed!!
- Two current options and need to know which is the preference: Each location will allow for different troop experiences so your feedback is greatly appreciated.
- Loon Mountain: Both Anna dos Santos and Kim Halloran have graciously offered their homes for the troop to stay at for a skiing weekend. Ticket pricing for 2 days of skiing on Saturday + Sunday is Adult $158+$130, Teen 13-18 $141+$116 which does not include rental or lessons. This would allow for us to eliminate the cost of lodging and could keep food costs low as we would be at Anna’s and Kim’s not a lodge.
- Ski Blandford is a smaller resort. We could stay at Moses Scout Reservation in Russell MA where they have a cabin with bunks and electric & wood stove. Skiing rates per day would be $45 for 14 and up and $35 for juniors 7-13. This is not a mountain where experienced skiers will feel challenged BUT will allow for many skill levels to be involved together and even earn snow sport merit badges.
Merit Badge University: Huge opportunity for Scouts to earn merit badges outside of Summer Camp.
- Currently the dates are set for 3/2/19, 3/9/2019, and 3/23/2019. As soon as details are solidified we will keep you posted. Please put these dates on your calendar asap.
- Any questions on this event please reach out to Anna dos Santos.
Philmont Scout Ranch – Anyone who is interested in learning more about going to Philmont Scout Rand Aug 12-18 2019, please reach out to Jenn Parrella for more information. Troop 99 is going and has invited us to join them. Scouts must be 14 by Aug 12 2019 (Philmont rule) http://philmontscoutranch.org/
Do you know how Rank Advancement and Merit Badge Process Work?
Now that we are fully transitioned to Scoutbook, its a good time to ensure that everyone is clear on the process for rank advancement and merit badges. Scouts will continue to use their Scout handbooks to obtain approval for their rank requirements and simultaneously we will track advancement in Scoutbook. Please review the Rank and MB Process Document to understand each step in the process. If you have any questions, please ask Mike McGuire or Amy Pepin.
Access all Troop 29 Current Sign Ups list and Information: All Troop Sign Ups