- This month we will working on cooking which is required for most rank advancement.
- If you are interested in a Troop Leadership position for next year, please speak with Mr. McGuire. Troop elections will be May 17.
- Summer Camp Informational meeting for parents @ 7:00 p.m. See more information below.
- Departure will be from the Franklin VFW Hall at 5:30pm Friday April 28th. Scouts should arrive at 5:00pm to the VFW hall to help prepare the Troop and their Patrols for departure. On Saturday the troop will hike on TBD trail and will return to the base camp for the night. On Sunday morning we will then return to the VFW Hall at approximately 10am.
- Deadline to sign up – 4/14.
- Cost $20. due 4/26.
- Deadline to sign up for the June White Water Rafting Trip. See details below.
- Summer Camp Informational meeting for parents @ 7:00 p.m.
- Summer Camp Registration form and $190.00 deposit/initial installment of camp fee is due to secure spot in camp. Any registrations received after 5/10 will be assessed a $20.00 late fee (Camp Squanto Policy).
All Families are encouraged to attend to honor 3 of our scouts who have reached Eagle Rank – Kinley Baird, Patrick Cronin and Matthew Pepin.
At the 4/26 Troop meeting, small speaking roles for the ECOH ceremony will be assigned to several scouts, so be sure your scout knows if he will be able to attend the ceremony.
All scouts attending the ECOH should be dropped off at 3:00pm.
For the ECOH reception, families whose last name begins with:
A – M should bring a dessert
N – W can bring small water or juice containers.
The troop is looking for 2 or 3 new parents to take on the role of Eagle COH coordinators for future Eagle Courts of Honor; please talk with Anna dos Santos to find out more.
Rock Climbing & Repelling
Shooting Range with archery, BB range, and tomahawks
Indoor swimming – Please note the scouts will need to pass a swim check before going into the deep end.
Outdoor cooking (how does brownies, cornbread, stew, or strawberry shortcake sound?)
Hands on scout skills – starting fires without matches, rope making, build a tripod and many more
May 24 – Troop Meeting – 7pm-8:30pm. Charter School
- Summer Camp – All required forms must be submitted. Final fee (remainder after deposit) is due, $190.00 for one scout and $110.00 for 2nd Scout (Brother Discount), if applicable.
We need to confirm the number of scouts and adults rafting by noontime on May 11th.
Cost will be $40 per scout (troop is covering an additional $60 cost per scout and all costs for adults; if the May car wash is very successful, the $40 cost may be reduced.)
Scouts and adults will be led by trained guides on 10 miles of Class II & III rapids on the Deerfield River, which are perfect for beginners & those with more experience. All participants will be provided with personal floatation devices, helmets, a “wetsuit package” that includes a splash jacket and booties, and a paddle.
The rafting trip takes about 6 hours and includes a picnic lunch served on the river. This trip is usually considered to be the highlight of the year!
Sign-up deadline for this trip is Thursday May 11th. All forms and payment must be received by May 31st. Sign up now!
We want your feedback!
If you or your son hasn’t completed the survey yet, please do so this week. Your troop leadership would like to hear from both parents and scouts on our troop’s program which will help the leadership (both the PLC and the Troop Committee) begin planning for the next troop year. A short survey has been created that will take less than 5 minutes to complete. All responses are anonymous.
Scout Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/C5ZG88R
Parent Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/J8YKYPF
Summer Camp! 2017 Summer Camp at Camp Squanto (Week #3) Sunday, July 16th, through Saturday, July 22rd
- Coordinator: TJ Lynch – email@example.com
- Location: Camp Squanto – 200 Cutters Field Road, Plymouth, MA 02360
- Program Fee: $380.00 per Scout. $300.00 2nd Scout (Brother Discount)
- Required Forms:
- Summer Camp Registration Form
- Permission Slip / Behavior Form
- Merit Badge Selection Form
- Camp Squanto Authorization to Administer Medication and Allergy Form (must be completed even if scout does not take medication or has no allergies)
- BSA Medical Form– This requires a signature from the pediatrician’s office and that signature must be dated within 12 months of camp. If you prefer to complete it as a fillable PDF form and print it, the form can be found at: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/HealthSafety/pdf/680-001_ABC.pdf
All parents are recommended to attend one of the parent information meetings scheduled for 04/26 and 05/10 during the scheduled Troop meetings. At these meetings you will be able to obtain all of the required forms, receive advice pertaining to merit badge selections for your scout, ask questions / receive information regarding health / medication related issues and have all of your questions answered. If you can’t make any of the scheduled meetings or would like to get a head start on the forms, you may send an email request to receive the forms to firstname.lastname@example.org. The forms will be emailed to you.
- Important Summer Camp Dates:
- 4/26 – Informational meeting for parents @ troop meeting 7:00 p.m.
- 5/10 – Informational meeting for parents @ troop meeting 7:00 p.m.
- 5/10 – Registration form and $190.00 deposit/initial installment of camp fee is due to secure spot in camp. Any registrations received after 5/10 will be assessed a $20.00 late fee (Camp Squanto Policy).
- 5/31 – All required forms must be submitted.
- 5/31 – Final fee (remainder after deposit) is due, $190.00 for one scout and $110.00 for 2nd Scout (Brother Discount), if applicable.
Personal Fitness Merit Badge: Contact Jean Roche, a Personal Fitness merit badge counselor , if you would like to work on this badge. A minimum 3 month commitment is needed for this badge. You can see what it entails by printing out a Personal Fitness workbook from “meritbadge.org”, click on the highlighted hyperlink in the green banner section for Merit Badges, then choose “Personal fitness” , and at the very, very top, click on the PDF to get to the 14 page document. Please print pages 1-13. If you are in progress and need to finish up, please contact Jean as soon as possible. Any Questions, please contact Jean at email@example.com.
Adults are you interested in CPR training/recertification? We have an opportunity to have someone come and conduct a training. Please let Deb Ryan know if you are interested. Date, time and place will be TBD once we understand interest and availability.
As a reminder all activity sign-ups are now online, signed release forms and payment will still need to be handed in at the troop meetings or given to Mr. Klawson when required. To Access all Troop 29 Current Sign Ups list and Information: All Troop Sign ups
Please provide updates to Amy Pepin, firstname.lastname@example.org, before 9am on Monday to be included in that week’s Troop News.