11/2 Popcorn Deadline
- Our popcorn fund raiser is almost complete, but we still need each scout to sell to their family and friends using the order form. If each scout can have a goal of 5 – 7 entries, you will help make our final fundraising efforts a success. We are counting on these sales, in addition to the show & sell to meet the troop’s goals.
- Order forms and the collected money needs to be handed in either at this Wed’s troop meeting or delivered to Mr. Lewis at 12 Catherine Ave no later than 11/2 – there can be no accepting of late forms as we meet Council’s deadlines.
Oct 26 – Troop Meeting – 7pm-8:30pm. Charter School – October
- Oct Troop Outing payment due.
- Please bring any of the troop’s blue water jugs. We have a trip this week and are missing six!
October 28-30 – Troop Outing – Lashing at Camp Sayre Sign Up Now
- This month the troop invites all Webelos interested in Troop 29 and Boy Scouting to attend our monthly outing.
- The Troop will be performing lashing activities (use of ropes to build structures) and camping at New England Base Camp (Camp Sayre).
- Departure will be from the Franklin VFW Hall at 5:30pm Friday October 28th. Scouts should arrive at 5:00pm to the VFW hall to help prepare the Troop and their Patrols for departure. Troop returns to Franklin Sunday morning to the VFW Hall at approximately 10am.
- Sign up deadline – 10/21. Cost of this activity will be $20. – Due Oct 26
Maine High Adventure Summer 2017
Are you interested in going on a High Adventure Experience? Opportunities abound throughout northern Maine for extended backcountry travel! Canoeing is by far the most popular mode of travel for Maine High Adventure crews. Paddling is available on lakes, ponds, easy to intermediate streams and rivers, and challenging whitewater. A crew can plan a laid-back relaxing trip, a strenuous demanding trip, or anything in between.
Read more information about the Maine High Adventure. This trip requires that scouts commit by Dec/Jan. ½ Payment is due on February 1. Final ½ is due May 1. Minimum age: must be 13 before Sept 1, 2016. MHA does not have “weeks” like Squanto. Trips are fully up to scouts for starting date (any day of the week) and length of trip. MHA only runs crews from mid-June to mid-August. Trips are typically 8-11 days, with 6 days being the minimum. And you must add 2 days (1+1) of travel time from/to Franklin.
If you are interested in the Maine Adventure, please speak with Mr. McGuire and indicate your preferred week.
Please contact Mr. McGuire as your first step when you want to start a Merit Badge. He will guide you to a MB Councilor(s) and advise you if the desired badge has any prerequisites.
Here is a quick guide on How To Use A Blue Card To Earn A Merit Badge.
Community Service Opportunity
The Franklin Veterans agent, Dale Kurtz, is seeing Boy Scout volunteers to assist at a Veterans Appreciation Ceremony. This year’s program will honor all veterans; special recognition will be given to those who served in Vietnam. Scouts will perform as ushers and assist the veterans, families and others in attendance to their seats. Other minor assistance may be asked of the scouts during and after the ceremony.
- When: Friday November 11, 2016
- Where: Franklin Lodge of Elks 1077 Pond Street Franklin
- Time: Scouts requested to arrive at 10:30 am. Program starts at 11:00 am and will conclude at 1pm.
Any Scout who is interested in volunteering and securing community service hours, should contact Mr. Lynch at 508-326-9823.
Looking Ahead to November and December:
Nov 2 – Patrol Leaders’ Council (PLC) at 6:30 pm. Committee Meeting at 7:3o pm. Popcorn order forms due!
Nov 9 – Troop Meeting – 7pm-8:30pm. Charter School
Nov 10 – Papa Gino’s Dining Fundraiser Bring this flyer
- Dinning or take out, pizza is a favorite and we hope that each of our troop families will take advantage of our dinning fundraiser at Papa Gino’s in the Stop & Shop Plaza. This fundraiser is fully dependent on families coming out to support the troop by using the attached flyer.
- Thank you for your support in September with our dinning fundraiser. The troop is receiving about $200 from Five Guys and Froyo.
- The dinning fundraisers are fully scout lead initiatives in our troop.
Nov 11 – Community Service Opportunity at Veterans Appreciation Ceremony.
Nov 12 – Eagle Court of Honor, Franklin Methodist Church, 4pm
- All Families are encouraged to attend to honor 4 of our scouts who have reached Eagle Rank – Liam McGuire, Karlan DeWitt, David Roche and Brendan Ryan. More details to come.
Nov 16 – Troop Meeting – 7pm-8:30pm. Charter School
November 18-20– Troop Outing – Archery and Riflery Sign Up Now
- This month the troop will be performing archery and riflery on its monthly outing. The Troop will utilize the Rifle and Archery ranges at Camp Squanto in Plymouth.
- Work on Rifle Shooting and Archery Merit Badge – After consulting with the Scoutmaster (Mr. McGuire), obtaining a blue card and talking with a merit badge counselor, this will be an opportunity for scouts to work on the Rifle Shooting Merit Badge or Archery Merit Badge.
- Cost of this activity will be $20 + an additional TBD fee for supplies.
Nov 23 – NO Troop Meeting (Thanksgiving Break)
Nov 30 – Troop Meeting – 7pm-8:30pm. Charter School
December 9-11– Troop Outing – Back Packing Sign Up Now
- This month the troop will be Back Packing as its monthly outing. Details coming soon.
Youth Protection Training (YPT):
T29 is asking all adults working with scouts to have their YPT training updated by 12/1. This would include registered adults, MB councilors and adults attending outings. T29 is embracing Council’s approach to have all adults update their training on an annual basis to keep the troop trained and mitigate expired training.
Please provide Jennifer Parrella your certificate once you have completed your training.
As a reminder all activity sign-ups are now online, signed release forms and payment will still need to be handed in at the troop meetings or given to Mr. Klawson when required. To Access all Troop 29 Current Sign Ups list and Information: All Troop Sign Ups
Please provide updates to Amy Pepin, email@example.com, before 9am on Monday to be included in that week’s Troop News.