Oct 19 – Troop Meeting – 7pm-8:30pm. Charter School – with Webelos Open House
Oct 26 – Troop Meeting – 7pm-8:30pm. Charter School
October 28-30 – Troop Outing – Lashing at Camp Sayre Sign Up Now
- This month the troop invites all Webelos interested in Troop 29 and Boy Scouting to attend our monthly outing.
- The Troop will be performing lashing activities (use of ropes to build structures) and camping at New England Base Camp (Camp Sayre).
- Departure will be from the Franklin VFW Hall at 5:30pm Friday October 28th. Scouts should arrive at 5:00pm to the VFW hall to help prepare the Troop and their Patrols for departure. Troop returns to Franklin Sunday morning to the VFW Hall at approximately 10am.
- Sign up deadline – 10/21. Cost of this activity will be $20. – Due Oct 26
Popcorn Sales Update:
10/23 – Show & Sell at Stop & Shop has all time slots available for scouts. Please sign up here (give the link) to help the troop successfully wrap up this aspect of our fundraiser. Sign up Now!
11/2 – Final date to submit to Mr. Lewis your popcorn order forms.
Maine High Adventure Summer 2017
Are you interested in going on a High Adventure Experience? Opportunities abound throughout northern Maine for extended backcountry travel! Canoeing is by far the most popular mode of travel for Maine High Adventure crews. Paddling is available on lakes, ponds, easy to intermediate streams and rivers, and challenging whitewater. A crew can plan a laid-back relaxing trip, a strenuous demanding trip, or anything in between.
Read more information about the Maine High Adventure. This trip requires that scouts commit by Dec/Jan. ½ Payment is due on February 1. Final ½ is due May 1. Minimum age: must be 13 before Sept 1, 2016. MHA does not have “weeks” like Squanto. Trips are fully up to scouts for starting date (any day of the week) and length of trip. MHA only runs crews from mid-June to mid-August. Trips are typically 8-11 days, with 6 days being the minimum. And you must add 2 days (1+1) of travel time from/to Franklin.
If you are interested in the Maine Adventure, please speak with Mr. McGuire and indicate your preferred week.
Youth Protection Training (YPT):
T29 is asking all adults working with scouts to have their YPT training updated by 12/1. This would include registered adults, MB councilors and adults attending outings. T29 is embracing Council’s approach to have all adults update their training on an annual basis to keep the troop trained and mitigate expired training.
Please provide Jennifer Parrella your certificate once you have completed your training.
Please contact Mr. McGuire as your first step when you want to start a Merit Badge. He will guide you to a MB Councilor(s) and advise you if the desired badge has any prerequisites.
Here is a quick guide on How To Use A Blue Card To Earn A Merit Badge.
Looking Ahead to November and December:
Nov 2 – Patrol Leaders’ Council (PLC) at 6:30 pm. Committee Meeting at 7:3o pm. Popcorn order forms due!
Nov 9 – Troop Meeting – 7pm-8:30pm. Charter School
Nov 10 – Papa Gino’s Dining Fundraiser
Nov 12 – Eagle Court of Honor, Franklin Methodist Church, 4pm
- All Families are encouraged to attend to honor 4 of our scouts who have reached Eagle Rank – Liam McGuire, Karlan DeWitt, David Roche and Brendan Ryan. More details to come.
Nov 16 – Troop Meeting – 7pm-8:30pm. Charter School
November 18-20– Troop Outing – Archery and Riflery Sign Up Now
- This month the troop will be performing archery and riflery on its monthly outing. The Troop will utilize the Rifle and Archery ranges at Camp Squanto in Plymouth.
- Work on Rifle Shooting and Archery Merit Badge – After consulting with the Scoutmaster (Mr. McGuire), obtaining a blue card and talking with a merit badge counselor, this will be an opportunity for scouts to work on the Rifle Shooting Merit Badge or Archery Merit Badge.
- Cost of this activity will be $20 + an additional TBD fee for supplies.
Nov 23 – NO Troop Meeting (Thanksgiving Break)
Nov 30 – Troop Meeting – 7pm-8:30pm. Charter School
December 9-11– Troop Outing – Back Packing Sign Up Now
- This month the troop will be Back Packing as its monthly outing. Details coming soon.
As a reminder all activity sign-ups are now online, signed release forms and payment will still need to be handed in at the troop meetings or given to Mr. Klawson when required. To Access all Troop 29 Current Sign Ups list and Information: All Troop Sign Ups
Please provide updates to Amy Pepin, firstname.lastname@example.org, before 9am on Monday to be included in that week’s Troop News.