Please Read as there is a lot of information for the January Meetings and Trips
1/13/16 Troop Court of Honor @ Charter School during regular troop meeting
- Scouts arrive at 7:00pm. Parents please arrive by 7:20pm for the ceremony.
- Troop families are asked to help with a small reception immediately following. Families with last name from:
- A-K please bring beverages (small bottles of water, juice, soda, etc)
- L-Z please bring a dessert
1/20/16 Troop Meeting – Webelos Open House and Jamboree Presentation
- Jack Colamaria will be presenting a brief overview of the 2017 National Jamboree. Parents please arrive by 7:45pm for the Jamboree Presentation.
1/27/16 Troop Meeting –
- Troop will be preparing for the Jan trip and planning the meals. There will also be an ice fishing demonstration by Joe Cabossa, and signs of hypothermia. Note: some Webelos will also be joining the meeting.
1/29-1/31 Cross Country Skiing/Snowshoe Trip Windblown, 1180 Turnpike Road, New Ipswich, NH 03071
- Campsite: Camp Split Rock, 39 Stowell Rd, Ashburnham, MA 01430. Magee Cabin (sleeps up to 20) with space outside for 12+ tents.
- Permission slips due by 1/20/16 and payment due by 1/27/16 cross-country-ski-snowshoe-split-rock-01-29-2016
- Cost is $40/scout. If you have equipment and / or equipment troop can borrow, please note accordingly on the permission slip.
- No Snow? … No Problem! If conditions are not conducive for skiing and/or snow shoeing, the troop has another activity planned at this location. Fees will be reduced and credited accordingly.
2/6 Scout Shabbat, 2/7 Scout Sunday – St. Mary’s scout mass will be at 9am. More information will follow for the Methodist church. You are welcome to attend your own parish too.
2/26-2/28 Down Hill Skiing at Cranmore – Permission slips will be coming out soon along with more details
New Scout Requirements: New Boy Scout Rank Requirements as of 1-1-2016 (1)
The Boy Scouts have modified all rank requirements as of January 1, 2016. This should be a seamless changeover, but you should think of 2016 as a transition year during which both the old and the new requirements will be used, based on the Scout’s joining date or his current rank on January 1, 2016.
Scouts who join the Boy Scouts on or after January 1, 2016, MUST follow the new rank requirements. (Attached is a copy of the rank requirements pages from the new handbook. This document is also available on our website.) This will apply to those families who have Webelos crossing over to our troop during the coming months.
Scouts who joined the Boy Scouts prior to January 1, 2016:
- Who are working on the Tenderfoot through First Class ranks MAY continue to follow the old requirements, but MUST convert to the new requirements upon attaining First Class.
- Who have completed the First Class rank MAY complete the rank they are currently working on using the old requirements, but MUST convert to the new requirements for subsequent ranks.
Beginning January 1, 2017, all Scouts MUST use the new requirements regardless of rank.
The Scoutmasters plan to remind all Scouts of these new requirements during Scoutmaster conferences, and will have copies of the new requirements to insert into each Scout’s existing handbook. Please contact Mr. McGuire if you have any questions.
Feb/April Break STEM Camp at Squanto Squanto STEM
- 3 day cap to work on 2 merit badges and have a chance to meet and interact with people whose occupations take them into the world of STEM every day.
- There are two sessions for each school break.
- Early fee $95, after 1/20/16 $110.
- Check out the flyer link and register directly with Old Colony Council – link is provided on flyer.
Merit Badge University (MBU), March 5, 12, & 26, 2016 occ_mbu_2016_scout_form
- It will be held on 3 Saturday mornings, 3/5, 3/12, & 3/26, 2016.
- Each day will have 3 sessions, starting at 9:00am and ending at 12:40pm. Scouts can finish up to 3 MBs over the 3 weeks.
- Scouts should complete the registration form and give it to Anna dos Santos on 1/13, 1/20 or 1/27. A payment of $15 per scout is also needed. The earlier you register the better chance you have of getting your first choices!
- Please note that the form asks for 7 MB choices to be selected and ranked, since classes will fill up.
If you have any questions, please contact Anna at email@example.com.
3/26 Adult CPR/AED Training at MBU
- Any registered adult leader interested in first aid training can take a training class while your scout is at MBU.
- Pre registration is required and now open online at http://training.oldcolonycouncil.org
Please provide updates to Amy Pepin, firstname.lastname@example.org, before 9am on Monday to be included in that week’s Troop News.