Please take the time to read over this week’s troop news. Below are three new policies that have gone into effect, important dates of registrations, and changes to an upcoming troop meeting. All policies will be added to the troop website.
1/14 Troop Meeting – Charter School
- Troop Dues – installment for Jan or full payment if not yet submitted
- Final date to register for Jan outing.
- Register for Feb outing – final date for forms and payment is 1/28. No late sign ups will be accepted.
- Patrol boxes 1 & 3 need to be returned cleaned, checked and provided to Matt Pepin for inspection.
1/21 Split Troop Meeting
- In preparation for the Klondike, those scouts participating in the Klondike will meet at the VFW from 7 – 8pm next Tuesday. Please drop off and pick up your scout at the VFW.
- The remainder scouts will meet at the Charter School at the normal timeframe.
- All troop business will be conducted at the Charter School for payments, etc.
Payment to Troop Guidelines
- To help with the reconciliation of each of our activities, we ask that scout families pay for each event individually. This guideline is now in effect and your support is appreciated.
- If you are registering for multiple trips or paying for a trip and troop dues – we ask that separate checks are provided for each trip and a separate check for troop dues. If you are paying in cash – you will need have separate amounts for each event.
- If you have more than one scout attending an event, please continue to include both amounts on one check.
Scout Active Participation Policy Troop 29 – Definition of Active Troop Participation
- The Troop Committee has spent several months defining for our troop what minimum active participation of a scout means for rank advancement. Attached is the final policy that is going into effect this month.
- We encourage all scouts and parents to read over the policy. This will be reviewed with the scouts at this week’s troop meeting.
Positions of Responsibility Definitions Troop 29 – Positions of Responsibility
- Attached are definitions for each scout leadership role that the Troop Committee has approved. The current scout leadership has had drafts of the definitions since September during their training.
- We are excited to introduce the definitions to provide each scout entering leadership greater direction of what their role entails and give them guidance on the expectations to enable them to succeed and receive the most from the experience.
- As a scout enters leadership, they and their parents are asked to sign their position of responsibility and return it to their SPL and Scout Master for signature.
- These documents will assist the scout and scout master to provide feedback during the tenure to help manage expectations regarding leadership credit.
1/23 – 1/24th Klondike @ Squanto “Gold in the Cold” klondike-permslip-01-23-2015
- Final Deadline for Form & Payment: Form by 1/7 = $20; form by 1/14 = $25; payment due by 1/21
- Klondike ~ A test of Scout skills and endurance. Each Patrol forms into a “Stampeder Dog Sled Team” and competes as a separate expedition.
- Mountain Man ~ 4 Boy Scouts, ages 14 years and older, form a team to compete in a test of marksmanship, archery, axe throwing, log chopping, and skills of ingenuity and stamina.
- L’Hivernant ~ Boy Scouts best a cold winter night’s sleep in tents. Troop 29 will be camping over only on Friday night. Warm gear needed – a full listing of recommended winter gear can be found on our website https://troop29franklin.com/documents/
2/8 & 2/14 8th is Scout Sunday & 14th is Scout Sabbath
2/27 – 3/1 Feb Ski Trip @ Attitash Grand Summit Hotel & Conference center, Bartlett NH
Final signup will be needed 1/28/15 – no late signups will be accepted due to the nature of this trip. attitash-permslip-02-27-2015
- Cost: $75 [ scouts 12 & under] $80 for the older scouts and $90 for the adults
- Cost includes: Sat/Sun bkfast & Sat dinner, and a 1 day lift ticket.
- Scouts responsible for own Sat lunch, $10 should be fine.
- Lift tickets good at both Attitash & Wildcat. 2-day lift tkt available for those who want to ski both days. Cost for 2nd day is $35 (Jr), $38 (Young Adult), $50 (Adult). Please indicate if you are interested in 2nd day. Once registration and number of drivers known, the troop will be able to make final determination.
- Rentals & lessons available at a discounted rate, if interested.
Adult Involvement Opportunities
- Coordinate a trip outing for a month.
- There will be movement in current roles (Chairman, ASM, etc). Now is a perfect time to be trained.
- Please talk to Anna Dos Santos at our troop meeting to learn more.
Please contact Deb Ryan at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have items to communicate to the troop. Deadline to submit communications is Monday morning by 9am.