There is a bit of new news this week. Take a few minutes to read over a cup of coffee to be fully updated….
THIS WEEK – TROOP MEETING
- Please bring $120 for your chocolate bars
- All MassJam participants are asked to attend this troop meeting for planning purposes. Please read the attached document prior to the troop meeting: MassJam Information Sheet-1
- Reminder: COH submissions due 10/16th.
10/12-10/14 MASSJAM AT CAPE COD FAIRGROUNDS, FALMOUTH
- Departure time has been changed. Please arrive at the VFW by 6am Saturday, heading out by 6:30am.
- We expect return arrival time to be around 12:30 Monday. Scouts will call parents as they arrive.
CHOCOLATE BARS ARE HERE!
- The troop’s major fundraising effort for this year began on 9/25. There are 11 scouts that have not picked up their bars – please plan on picking them up on 10/9. Each scout will receive 60 chocolate bars – 20 each of dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and crispy milk chocolate.
- Families pay the troop up front for the bars ($120, payable to Troop 29) and then can sell them to families, friends, neighbors or at troop organized sale locations for $2.00 each.
- At the next troop meeting there will be sign ups for locations to sell our chocolate.
DEN CHIEF TRAINING SATURDAY 10/26
- Den Chief training will take place in Braintree on 10/26 from 8am – 12 pm. Location is Braintree Moose Lodge, 175 Howard St. Braintree. You will be asked to wear your Class A uniform.
- This is a live course that will give you the tools to understand your role as a Den Chief and help you succeed. You will enjoy hands on activities in an interactive and fun setting.
- Troop will pick up expenses.
- Please contact your Scout Master if you are interested in participating. Another training will be held 12/7 – location and time TBD.
SCOUT MASTER TRAINING
- Think you might want to become our Scoutmaster in the future? Scoutmaster Basic 1-2-3, a one day class required for trained Scoutmasters, will be held on Saturday, 10/19, in Foxboro.
- Outdoor Leader Skills, also required for the Scoutmaster “Trained” badge, will be held the weekend of 10/26-27, in the Foxboro/Wrentham area.
- Please contact Anna dos Santos if you’d like to sign up.
SCOUTING FOR FOOD
- Troop 29 will be participating in Scouting for Food supporting the Franklin Food Pantry.
- Bags will be provided at the 10/16th troop meeting
- We ask that you return the bags at the 10/30th troop meeting.
RADIO MERIT BADGE
Mark Hofstra, the Pack 92 Secretary , offered to be a Merit Badge councilor for the Radio Merit badge. He is a licensed HAM Radio operator. If you are interested and want to learn more, contact Mr. Jolie at email@example.com
3rd ANNUAL LADYBUG 5K @ KENNEDY SCHOOL 10/19TH 8:30 – 11:30AM
- Looking for 10-12 volunteers to help direct the flow of traffic and assist with parking in the front of the Kennedy School and side streets.
- We will provide safety vests for visibility.
- Volunteers would need to arrive by 8:30 and check in with one of the race coordinators for location. Expect completion by 11:30.
- Volunteer hours are available and sheets will be handed out at the end of the event before you leave.
- Please contact Jennifer Parrella at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are able to help.
S. CRONIN’S EAGLE PROJECT THIS SATURDAY
At the Wrentham State School painting crosswalks from 9 – 2. Please let him know if you are able to support him. If you have any questions his number is 508-221-2558.
INTERNATIONAL CATHOLIC SCOUTING AWARENESS AWARD
- Scouts from Troop 29 who are in grades 6 through 8 are eligible to attend.
- It is being offered in a special program on Saturday 10/26 at 3:45pm
- It’s for CATHOLIC and NON-CATHOLIC Scouts. It’s an awareness award, not a theology or faith award and is rarely awarded.
- It is NOT the Catholic religious emblem program ( Ad Altare Dei and Pope Pius for Boy Scouts).
- It is for Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, and members of Campfire.
- Msgr. Roman Golemba (“Father Roman”) will be a celebrating Divine Liturgy (Mass) for Scouts at St. Michael’s Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, followed by a short program in the church hall, where he will talk about the differences between the Catholic Church’s two “lungs”– Western (“Roman” or “Latin-rite” Catholic) and Eastern.
- Scouts will need to do a little bit of research in advance of the program — younger ones will need parents’ help — to complete a quiz. The answers to the quiz will also be part of Father Roman’s presentation, but it would be more meaningful if Scouts can spend some time at home preparing, first.
- PLEASE NOTE: The Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church is a Catholic church, in full communion with Rome, whose liturgical practices are similar to those of the Eastern Orthodox churches. Attendance at Divine Liturgy fulfills Sunday Mass obligation for Roman Catholics, and Roman Catholics eligible to receive communion in the Roman Catholic church are invited to receive it in the Ukrainian Greek Catholic church.
- Interested families should respond NO LATER THAN OCTOBER 10 so that there’s sufficient time to order the pins, patches, and medals. Cost is $16.00 for 6th-8th graders (to cover the cost of the patch and medals). Troop 29 will reimburse families for this cost if they decide to participate. There is no other fee, although families are asked to consider making a gift during collection during Divine Liturgy in whatever amount they feel is appropriate.
- Contact Jim Agar before October 10 via email at email@example.com or by cell phone at (203) 526-9624. Checks should be made out to “Pack 17” and need to be given to Jim by the 10th.
PARENT VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
- ACTIVITY COORDINATOR TEAM:
- A core small group is needed to support our Activities for the year to identify and reserve locations. Bob Latshaw will be an excellent resource to get you up to speed quickly.
- Sept – Dec have individuals planning already.
- SUCCESSION PLANNING
- Scout Master and Assistant Scoutmasters – the troop needs to begin to succession plan for anticipated future needs. Now is a great time to jump on board and learn from those currently in the roles.
- Committee Chair – Expect this role to become available next year. Now is an ideal time to shadow Anna to then easily step in – she is very organized and has laid it up nicely for the next person.
- Please contact Anna DosSantos at firstname.lastname@example.org or speak to her at an upcoming meeting if you would like to know more about how you can support your troop.
FALL COH (Court of Honor) 10/30 @ Charter School
- All rank and badge submissions must be turned in to Mrs. Ryan by Oct 16th.
- There will be a reception following the COH – more details will come closer to the date.
If you have any announcement that needs to go to the troop, please send it to Deb Ryan at email@example.com by 9:00am on Monday.