THIS WEEK – TROOP MEETING
- Please provide summer camp feedback to Mr. Cook so that we can begin to prepare.
- Bring in your April and May trip permission slips.
4/26-28TH: NOBSCOT SCOUT RESERVATION FRAMINGHAM, MA
- On the April trip we will concentrate on improving our orienteering skills. We will also hike to the top of Nobscot hill from which you can see Boston. Scouts will need to have a proper compass for this trip. The troop has a couple to lend out, but since a compass is one of the 10 essentials that every scout should pack, you should really consider buying a compass. You can get a good one for $10 to $15.
- It is important that you by the proper type of compass. It should have these features:
- You can see a good example of the proper compass here http://www.amazon.com/Silva-2801290-Starter-1-2-3-Compass/dp/B001M5TN3W
- Notice that this example has a rectangular clear base plate and the red arrow in the circular part of the compass (it looks kind of like a shed)
- Please do not bring military style or small novelty compasses, they will not be sufficient for the instruction session
- Please see the attached permission slip. Nobscot 04-26-13 Permslip
- Please see the attached trip overview. 2013 04 Nobscot
- We will camp 1/2 mile from the parking lot. This means that your scout should pack gear so that it can easily be carried this distance.
- Since we are 1/2 mile from the car we do not plan to use the large Coleman stoves. Scouts should plan meals that can be cooked on a backpacking stove or over a fire.
5/17-19TH: BIKING ON EAST BAY BIKE PATH RI, CAMP BUXTON RHOBOTH, MA
- We are heading back to the East Bay Bike Path, a beautiful path from Bristol RI to East Providence, RI. This has been our favorite bike trip. http://www.dot.ri.gov/bikeri/east_bay_bike_path.asp
- The bike trip is 29 miles.
- Scouts must not bring BMX style bikes. We know from experience that scouts must have a multi-gear bike to complete this trip. So start planning now if you need to borrow a bike for the trip.
- Bikes must be in good repair. We will refuse a scout from the trip if their bike is not in good repair. (We have experience here too).
- Scouts must wear a helmet
Lots of Adult Help Needed! How Can You Help?
- We are sending out this announcement early because this trip requires a lot of adult help. There are a lot of logistics that go into this trip and we need all of the help that we can get. You don’t have to ride a bike, you can be part of the support team.
- The first way that you can help is by indicating on the permission slip if you can help carry bikes on your bike rack. Here are just a few other ways that you can help.
- We need to get the bikes from Franklin, to the campsite, to the bike path, back to the campsite, and back to Franklin.
- We need adults to set up a lunch station at the halfway point of the trip.
- We need adults to ride with the scouts. We need enough adults to split up the scouts by ability.
- We need adults to be on call along the route in case of an emergency.
- As always we realize that you may have other commitments, but please let us know if you plan to arrive late or leave early. There are a lot of moving parts on this trip and unexpected changes are very disruptive.
- So, I’m sure you get the message by now, we need your help.
- The fee for this trip is $25 – adults are free Bike_trip_Buxton_05-17-13_permslip
SUMMER CAMP INFORMATION & SURVEY: 7/14 – 7/20th
SAVE THE DATE-EAGLE COH IS SUNDAY 5/5 2pm
TROOP COH 6/19
Our Spring Troop COH will be June 19 at the Charter School. All blue cards and advancement must be submitted to Mrs. Ryan no later than June 5th to be a part of the COH. Please plan accordingly.