THIS WEEK – NO MEETINGS
- There will be no troop meetings on 1/2/13
- Next troop committee meetings will be 1/9/13 (originally scheduled for 1/2/13)
- Please plan on bringing to the meeting the following documents, if you have not already: ScoutParent Volunteer Form, BSA – Troop Rechartering and Data Update 2013, Klondike 012513, and Split Rock 020813 Perm.
TROOP RECHARTERING FOR 2013
- Please print out and complete the BSA – Troop Rechartering and Data Update 2013. If a family hasn’t paid their rechartering fee of $65 ($77 with Boys Life), they need to bring it to the Jan 9 troop meeting.
KLONDIKE: OPERATION POLAR BEAR 1/25-1/26th
- Location: Walpole Sportsman’s Association
- Klondike ~ A test of Scout skills and endurance. Boy Scouts compete against Boy Scouts and Webelos Scouts against Webelos Scouts for ribbons and glory. Each Patrol forms into a “Stampeder Dog Sled Team” and competes as a separate expedition.
- Mountain Man ~ Four Boy Scouts, ages 14 years and older, form a team to compete in a test of marksmanship, archery, axe throwing, log chopping, and skills of ingenuity and stamina. A team consists of exactly four boys from the same Troop.
- L’Hivernant ~ Boy Scouts best a cold winter night’s sleep out. **Friday, January 25 ONLY **
- Permission Slip: Klondike 012513
CROSS COUNTRY SKIING, SNOWSHOEING & ICE FISHING 2/8-2/10(we may depart on February 9, see below)
- We have a fun trip planned for February and we need to get a headcount as soon as possible so we know how many sets of skis that we need to rent. Please contact Doug Hartnett firstname.lastname@example.org and let him know if you plan to attend this trip. Please contact Doug now, but you can bring your Split Rock 020813 Perm to the meeting on January 9. Please also let Doug know if you can lend snowshoes or cross country skis to the troop for this trip.
- We’ve done this trip in the past and it is a lot of fun. We will go to the Windblown cross country ski area in New Ipswich, NH. Scouts will snowshoe and cross country ski. In the afternoon we will return to camp and go ice fishing. A couple of years ago we had enough snow to make and sleep in snow caves!
- The theme of this trip is Winter camping. So if you attend this trip you will be sleeping outdoors. In the meetings leading up to the trip you will prepare for winter camping. Parents, we will communicate the proper equipment for a trip like this in upcoming meetings. Please work with your scout to prepare. I believe the troop has a couple of cold weather sleeping bags we can lend.
- The departure time is currently scheduled as Friday February 8. However, if the weather is poor on Friday night, we will start the trip early on February 9. Please monitor your email, of all the trips we take, this is the one that is most like to be affected by weather. We may need to change our departure or return time based on the weather.
- Finally, as with all trips, we need adult involvement to make this trip successful. We have rented a cabin for the adults to sleep in, so please help if you can. Please contact Bob Latshaw email@example.com if you plan to attend this trip. We need help with the following:
- Pull the trailer
- Driving to and from the campsite and ski area
- Cook lunch in the parking lot. (We provide the scouts with a hot lunch).
- Ice fishing. If you can’t attend, can you lend us gear?
- Ski or snowshoe with scouts.
MARCH – JUNE 2013 ACTIVITY UPDATE COMING SOON….
We are close to finalizing the trips for March through June. An update will follow soon. We have put together an action packed agenda, but we need your help. We hope to see some new adult faces join us on these trips. When you receive the update you will be asked if your scout plans to attend. We will also have a list of duties where we need adult help. Please consider joining us on these trips.
SAVE A LIFE! 1/5/13
- The drive is held in partnership with Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, and Children’s Hospital. The Blood Drive is taking place on Saturday, January 5, 2013 at the King Philip Middle School, in Norfolk, MA from 9am to 3pm.
If you have any announcement that needs to go to the troop, please send it to Deb Ryan at firstname.lastname@example.org by 9:00am on Mondays.